The Underrated Dream of Living The Simple Life in The Countryside

I mean, come on. Who likes to wake up in a picturesque tiny home so you’ll be forced to go out of your veranda (which is fabricated in front of a majestic sunrise) to the view of the lush orange trees rolling out from a distant? Oh, and not to mention having to savour the aroma of a perfectly home brewed coffee while listening to the sound of the birds chirping and the stream flowing nearby? Well for me, that is nothing much like living the life as if you are in a summer of 1958. But only it’s not.

*plays Percy Faith’s theme from A Summer Place*

Just like everyone else, I used to put it into my future goals to get myself a red brick apartment in New York City and live with a lovable Siamese cat that loves me back. But as I grow maturely each year, living in a city doesn’t quite take my best interest anymore at all! What I want now is to go to Salzburg in Austria, or Northern Italy or perhaps South of France – sing Edelweiss and drink the freshest red wine in the whole world. More importantly, I just want to live a simple and peaceful life.

A big change of heart, I guess?

I know for a fact that most of us, we kinda grew up with our parents or teachers telling us that the true picture of success is to live in a huge house in a big city — you know what I mean. But somewhere along my 20s, I learned how to keep clean, understandable and easy. I want to live a kind of life where I know how to think that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Now I don’t want a big house or a fancy car anymore. I don’t even want to climb on a corporate ladder in order for me to get a promotion that will make me rich by the time I reach the age of 64. All I want is to leave the buzz of the city and move to somewhere calmer: a sparsely populated outskirt.

I want to deep dive into a life that is balanced and meaningful. I want to live a life that is holistic, timeless and based on ancient wisdom and spirituality. Somewhere calm where I get to see the trees that I plant grow into marvelous towering works of nature. I want to take good care of different kinds of flowers and probably grow my own food organically. Settle in a kind of place where you know all your neighbors because they are your good friends. Where you don’t need to wake up early to catch the bus on a manic morning because you are living in miles away from that.

I want a tiny house filled with books and windows so there’s no way I will complain about being bored. Wifi is a plus too because I still want to be socially connected if that’s possible. Then I will have a bike instead of a Chevrolet El Camino and go around town amid the sun-drenched splendor wonderfully flawed pavement to get myself the most delicious slice of chocolate cake of the country side. Maybe I’ll bike some more while jamming Top of the World by the Carpenters. There won’t be offices around so I will get myself a job on a farm because why not work on a farm? After all, I’ve been always interested in agriculture so it’s gonna be the best of both worlds for me.

I’m positive that my soul will be worry-free by just imagining having all those thoughts. And I am not comparing apples to oranges here okay? Just like what my kindred spirit has to say, it’s not the world holds for you, it’s what you bring to it.

Photos from the 2017 film Call Me By Your Name

39 Comments Add yours

1. I’m always obssesed! While reading it really slow, why is the place in the movie Call Me By Your Name keeps coming back on my mind? The perfect summer getaway from everything Haha!

Liked by 2 people

1. That’s what I thought too! Thank you for reading. Hoping that one day we create a living we don’t need a vacation from 😊

1. dannymellema says:

To create a living we don’t need a vacation – read escape – from. I am all for that!

Liked by 1 person

2. Exactly! That would be an ultimate goal. I could also consider traveling nonstop as a way of living 😅

2. Zen says:

My kind of success, a simple & peaceful life 💙 I’m sure we’ll get there. Keep on living your life, Marron! And of course, write everything your mind & heart desires! 😘

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you for reading, Zen! I truly believe that we will! Although I don’t know how soon but I’m also excited for all the lessons and blessings that we’ll pick on our way there. Thank you!

3. Fergy. says:

Looks like you really have your priorities sorted out, my friend. Good for you.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you! My priorities has been negotiable all throughout the years but for now, it’s good to know what I want. Thanks for reading!

1. Fergy. says:

Keep flexible, for sure. Making rigid plans is a surefire way of having them disintegrate. Are you still in Metro Manila?

2. That’a for sure — they keep fanning the flames. And yes I am 🙂

4. I am an advocate of a minimalistic lifestyle too and would move to the countryside immediately. Not easy to do when you are married as I am…

Liked by 2 people

1. That’s good to know. I try hard to stay as minimalist as possible. Maraming salamat for reading!

5. Great post and great values

Liked by 2 people

1. Maraming salamat, sir!

6. auntytomtom says:

My dream!! A simple peaceful home.

Liked by 2 people

1. And a meaningful life 🙂

7. markbierman says:

I live in the country and I wouldn’t trade it for city life.

Liked by 2 people

1. Aren’t you a lucky man? And now I’m jealous! It must be really, really peaceful.

1. markbierman says:

It is and I love it!

8. Ana Daksina says:

Reblogging this to my readers at sister site Poetic Justice

1. You’re welcome to do so 🙂

9. eob2 says:

Good goal, I’ve lived the big city life. Now I live near a small town, home is on a mountain free to roam, only nature and trees embrace me.

Liked by 1 person

1. I’m so happy you moved out of the big city life! Hope all is well with you.

1. eob2 says:

I wasn’t at first 😁, thank you it is, hope it is with you also. 🌎✌🏻💙

Liked by 1 person

2. I truly believe that the universe will help me direct my life to this dream. Thank you!

Liked by 1 person

10. I think a lot of people after Co-Vid or even during decided they want to live in the country. Most as they get older decide the material things never make you happy.

Liked by 1 person

1. I hope so! Thank you so much for reading the blog!

Liked by 1 person

11. “it’s not what the world holds for you, it’s what you bring to it.” I really like this statement. It reminds me that although I do have the pretty house in the country side and more…. , “It’s what you bring to it” that is most important to me and makes it worth while getting up in the morning. Thank you for your post Marron.

1. I love that statement too! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Véronique 🙂

Liked by 1 person

12. Have you ever read Thoreau’s “Walden?”

Liked by 2 people

1. Not yet! But I looked it up online it says ‘life in the woods’, and I will definitely check that out. Thanks!

Liked by 2 people

13. PRASHANT JAIN says:

Nice

Liked by 1 person

14. I love this piece. Such wisdom at 26, although it seems your generation has a better grasp of what true success, the kind that feeds the soul, looks like. ✌️

Liked by 1 person

1. The kind of things that feed the soul and not the ego, that’s what I strive for. Thank you so much, Michele! Totally appreciate it!